A farmer’s plow bit into the soil of a Hampshire field in 1785 and struck something hard and yellow. Gold. Heavy for its size — nearly half an ounce. On its face, a crude engraving of a goddess, and around it a stranger’s name. No one who cleaned the dirt from it could have known that a hundred miles away, buried at a ruined temple, lay a thin sheet of lead that named the same man — and called down a curse on him. And no one could have guessed that, a century and a half later, the puzzle would be handed to a quiet Oxford professor who was about to invent the most famous ring in the world.
Quick Facts
| Object | Gold Roman ring, ~4th century AD (“the Vyne ring”) |
| Found | c. 1785, a field near Silchester (Roman Calleva), Hampshire |
| Inscription | “SENICIANE VIVAS IN DE[O]” — “Senicianus, may you live in God” |
| Linked artifact | Lead curse tablet from the Temple of Nodens, Lydney Park |
| The name | “Senicianus” — the same rare name appears on both objects |
| The Oxford link | J.R.R. Tolkien, asked in 1929 to study the god’s name |
What We Were Told
For most of its life the ring was simply a curiosity. It passed to the Chute family and sat at The Vyne, a grand country house in Hampshire, labelled as a large gold Roman finger-ring and little more. Ten grams of gold, a bezel showing the goddess Venus, and a name scratched over the top by a later, clumsier hand: Senicianus.
It was old. It was Roman. It was, everyone assumed, an isolated object — one lost trinket among the thousands the Romans left scattered across Britain when their empire withdrew.
Image caption: The heavy gold ring of Silvianus, its bezel worn smooth, the later inscription cut roughly across the original design.
What Was Found
Eighty-odd miles to the west, in the wooded hills of Gloucestershire, stood the ruins of a temple to Nodens — a Romano-British god of healing and hunting. Among the offerings pilgrims had left there, archaeologists recovered a small, folded sheet of lead. A defixio. A curse.
Its Latin was blunt and personal: “To the god Nodens. Silvianus has lost a ring and given half its value to Nodens. Among those who bear the name Senicianus, permit no health until he brings it back to the temple of Nodens.”
A man named Silvianus had lost a ring — and asked a god to torment the thief, a man named Senicianus, until it was returned.
The same rare name. On a curse in one county, and on a ring dug from a field in another. Two objects, separated by miles and by centuries of silence, pointing straight at each other.
Image caption: The lead curse tablet from Lydney Park, its Latin plea to Nodens scratched line by line.
The Detail That Changes Everything
In 1928 the archaeologist Mortimer Wheeler began excavating the temple site at Lydney Park. Puzzling over the shrine, he needed an expert to trace the meaning and roots of the god’s strange name, Nodens. He turned to a philologist at Oxford.
The man he chose was John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.
Tolkien wrote his note on the name Nodens in 1929. And the ground he was studying carried its own local legend: the hill above the temple, honeycombed with ancient Roman mine tunnels, had a name the villagers had used for generations — Dwarf’s Hill, a place folklore filled with “little people.”
A stolen ring. An engraved curse. A hill of dwarves. All of it laid on the desk of the man who, right around this same time, first wrote the words “In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.”
The Central Mystery
Did any of it seep into his imagination?
Within a few years Tolkien was building the world of Middle-earth — and at its dark heart he placed a single golden ring: precious, powerful, and cursed, an object that corrupts whoever holds it and demands to be returned to where it belongs. The parallels are almost uncomfortable. A ring of gold. A curse of ruin. A longing to be given back.
But Tolkien never once said the Ring of Silvianus inspired the One Ring. He left no letter, no note, no confession tying the two together. The connection lives entirely in the overlap — in the fact that the man who imagined the most famous cursed ring in fiction had, years earlier, held a real one’s story in his hands.
Competing Theories
Some see a direct thread: Tolkien encountered a genuine cursed Roman ring and a hill of dwarves at the very moment his legendarium was taking shape, and the imagery quietly took root. Others argue the resemblance is coincidence dressed up as destiny — cursed rings and greedy thieves are among the oldest motifs in human storytelling, from Norse sagas to Wagner’s Ring, and Tolkien drew far more openly on those.
A middle view, favored by most Tolkien scholars, is that the episode may have been one ingredient among hundreds — a spark, not a blueprint. Historians and the National Trust, which explored the link in a 2013 exhibition at The Vyne, are careful to stress the same point: there is no hard proof the ring inspired his. The pieces line up, but the line connecting them is drawn by us, not by Tolkien.
Why It Still Haunts Us
We want the story to be true. We want the greatest fantasy of the modern age to have grown from a real curse, a real ring, a real hill of dwarves — because it would mean myth and history are not so far apart after all. And maybe that longing is the point: the ring’s curse asked only that it be returned, and a thousand years later we are still turning it over, unable to let it go.
Coincidence — or the seed of the greatest fantasy ever written?
Sources & further reading: R.E.M. Wheeler & T.V. Wheeler, “Report on the Excavation of the Prehistoric, Roman, and Post-Roman Site in Lydney Park, Gloucestershire” (1932), incl. J.R.R. Tolkien’s appendix “The Name Nodens”; Roman Inscriptions of Britain (RIB 306, the Lydney curse; the Silchester ring); The National Trust, The Vyne — “The Ring” exhibition (2013).





